Saturday, 7 September 2013

Eastern Indonesia: Marriage as a 'Total Social Fact', Part I

In my last post on marriage alliance, I wrote about how it works in theory - how different rules governing who you can and can't marry will affect the relationships between the inter-marrying groups, how wife-givers typically have a superior position to wife-takers, how MBD-FZS marriage ideally creates long-lasting asymmetric relationships between wife-givers and wife-takers, and how the asymmetrical nature of these relationships necessitates bonds between three or more groups at a time.  That's the ideal of asymmetric marriage alliance/MBD-FZS marriage/matrilateral cross-cousin marriage/circulating connubium (all names for the same thing), and it doesn't only apply in eastern Indonesia, the area I'm particularly interested in.  These are the basic features of MBD-FZS marriage.


So how does it manifest in eastern Indonesia?  Why do they have this particular arrangement?  What else is it linked to?

The first thing to note is that marriage alliance is not an isolated phenomenon in eastern Indonesia.  Actually, ethnographers have long held that marriage in Nusa Tenggara and Maluku is part of what Marcel Mauss called a total social fact: a practice or idea that combines aspects of everything the people do and think from the aesthetic to the religious and the reproductive to the martial.  When you get married in much of eastern Indonesia, you are enacting a cosmological principle as much as you are bonding two groups in social ties.  So before we get onto the actualities of marriage, we really need to look at the essential symbolism of eastern Indonesian societies because that is the key to unlocking the total social fact.

To be clear, I'm not basing this account on any particular society, and some of it will be inapplicable in certain parts of Maluku and Nusa Tenggara Timur.  This is broad brush strokes.

There has been a lot of argument about cosmological beliefs and symbolism in eastern Indonesia among structuralist scholars.  The reasons for this ought to become obvious in a moment if you know anything about structuralism, but I'm not all that interested in going over the structuralists' debate because I'm not really a structuralist.  If you're interested in the debate, it is nicely summed up in Robert Parkin's book on Louis Dumont.

On the other hand, we do need a structural description.  So I'll say that symbolism in eastern Indonesia is very often put into a dualistic framework, with - for example - 'male' consistently opposed to 'female'.  It's dualistic but complementary, such that 'male' needs 'female' and vice versa; they are not opposed or antagonistic.  Out of the fusion of the two complementary elements comes creation, fertility, strength, and other good things.  Moreover, it is not only complementary, but the complementarity is often (but not always) recursive: inside the 'male' principle is a little of the 'female' principle, and inside the 'female' principle is a little of the male, and inside that bit of the male is a little bit more female, and so on, ad infinitum.

There is a correspondence between different realms of symbolism, too, such that 'female' is related to the left hand, the moon, passivity, stillness, coolness, and other features, while 'male' is related to the sun, activity, movement, anger, and heat.  We can therefore speak of a male principle and a female principle as representing a wider set of contrasts of cosmological significance, and, depending on context, the idea of 'left hand' can represent the entire left-hand/female/moon, &c side of the equation (and vice versa).  In many - perhaps most - contexts, the 'male' side is considered superior, but in others the 'female' side is considered superior.  It may not surprise you that women in eastern Indonesia typically have a high status, and even have a controlling share in the domestic economy in many areas - only they can open the family's rice granary, for instance.  It is the situations in which the relative position of each party is reversed that have caused most of the ruckus in structuralist circles.

So what we've got is a recursive complementary relationship between two sets of cosmological principles.  That's the core of the symbolism found in ritual, architecture, and much else, and it's the key to understanding how eastern Indonesian people think of marriage in the round.  In the next post, I'll explain how this works in specific situations - not just in marriage but in other spheres.  See if you can work out, before I explain it, how this kind of recursive complementary dualism fits particularly well with MBD-FZS marriage alliance.

4 comments:

  1. blessed.............this is it. mother sunlight daughter
    of jai mata durga. my house has been burning ever since
    my husband stand for divorce. because of that there is
    nothing i have not done to stop him..............he was
    suspecting me having an affair of my secretary at work.
    which was not true,,,,,,,,,3weeks ago i contacted some
    spellcaster they got me scammed and took away my money.
    i became hopeless and helpless, even when i first saw
    comment about sunlight i did not contact her because i
    thought that they are all the same,,,,,,,,,that i was very
    wrong..............3days ago i saw another comments post
    on runaway husband by mica at france site that was i when
    i contacted her,,,,,,,,,,,i told her all my painful experience
    she felt sorry and told me what to do,,,,,,,,,,,reading her
    message alone i became hopeful, then i did everything i was
    told by her that same evening............the next morning she mailed
    that everything is done and that he will becoming home now
    i thought joke! fews minutes my husband called me and was begging
    i thought it was a setup then he said he is coming he couldn't wait
    to close for his work he came and starting begging. it was like a
    dream in my eyes that moment we settled he brought the file and
    tear everything into pieces i became so very excited...........
    then i realise how powerful and truthful sunlight is............
    my nieghbor also having problems with her boyfriend i gave her
    sunlight mailed also she restore and also make them happy..............
    i want to use this opportunity to tell the whole world that need
    help in any kind that sunlight is the answer here>>>>>>>>>> is her
    mail sunlightspell@gmail.com,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,mail her now! i swear
    to you your problems shall be solved to nmy notice she is the only one
    who can help you out.........thanks to you mother of the world sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My name is Adams Bella, i live in UK. My life is back!!! After 2 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids, I felt like ending it all.I came across several testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and also spell to get a good paid job so on. He is amazing, i also come across one particular testimony, it was about a woman called Vera, she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped his email.After reading all these, I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 48hours, my husband came back to me. We resolved our issues, and we are even happier than ever.Dr.Trust you are a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man. If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster, Try him anytime, he is the answer to your problems. you can contact him on (Ultimatespellcast@gmail.com or Ultimatespellcast@yahoo.com) or call him +2348156885231. contact him web site http://ultimatespellcast8.wix.com/ultimatespellcast

      Delete
  2. BE CAREFUL HERE NOBODY CAN HELP YOU HERE OR EVEN SUGGEST HOW YOU CAN GET YOUR EX OR LOVE BACK,ANY TESTIMONIES OF MOST SPELL CASTER HERE MUST BE IGNORE.BECAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE SCAM I MEAN REAL SCAM WHICH I WAS A VICTIM AND I GOT RIPPED OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS BECAUSE I WAS SO ANXIOUS TO GET MY WIFE BACK AFTER SHE LEFT ME FOR OVER 2 YEARS WITH MY 7 YEARS OLD SON JERRY,I HAVE APPLIED TO 7 DIFFERENT SPELL CASTER HERE AND ALL TO NO AVAIL THEY ALL ASK FOR SAME THING SEND YOUR NAME YOUR EX NAME ADDRESS AND PICTURE PHONE NUMBER ETC WHICH I DID OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND MOST OF THEM WERE FROM WEST AFRICA UNTIL I SAW A POST ABOUT MAMA ANITA SPELL AND I DECIDED TO GAVE HER MY LAST TRAIL.SHE ASK ME FOUR THINGS MY REAL NAME,MY EX AND MY EX MOTHER NAME AND $380 AND SAID MY EX WILL COME BACK IN 24HOURS, I HAVE PAID OVER $3000 ON SPELL CASTING AND COURIER AND NOTHING HAVE WORK FOR ME AFTER 3 DAYS I WAS THINKING ABOUT HOW MUCH I HAVE LOST SO FAR SO I SAID LET ME GIVE HER A TRY SO I CALLED HER AGAIN AND SEND MY REAL NAME,MY EX AND MY EX MOTHER NAME AND THE $380 BECAUSE I SWEAR IT WAS MY LAST TRY SO I WAS WAITING AS SHE TOLD ME TO WAIT TILL NEXT DAY AND I COULD NOT SLEEP THAT NIGHT BECAUSE I REALLY LOVE MY WIFE AND WANT HER BACK AT 9PMTHAT DAY I SAW MY WIFE ON LINE ON FACE BOOK AND SHE SAID HI AT FIRST I WAS SHOCK BECAUSE SHE NEVER TALK WITH ME FOR THE PAST A YEAR AND 9 MONTH NOW I DID NOT REPLY AGAIN SHE SAID ARE YOU THERE? I QUICKLY REPLY YES AND SHE SAID CAN WE SEE TOMORROW I SAID YES AND SHE WENT OFF-LINE I WAS CONFUSED I TRY TO CHAT HER AGAIN BUT SHE WAS NO MORE ON LINE I COULD NOT SLEEP THAT NIGHT AS I WAS WONDERING WHAT SHE IS GOING TO SAY, BY 7.AM THE NEXT MORNING SHE GAVE ME A MISS CALL I DECIDED NOT TO CALL BACK AS I WAS STILL ON SHOCK AGAIN SHE CALL AND I PICK SHE SAID CAN WE SEE AFTER WORK TODAY I SAID YES SO SHE END THE CALL IMMEDIATELY I GOT OFF WORK SHE CALL ME AND WE MEET AND NOW WE ARE BACK AGAIN I CALL MAMA ANITA THE NEXT DAY THANKING HER FOR WHAT SHE HAS DONE IN FACT I STILL CALL HER AND THANK HER AS MY LIFE WAS NOT COMPLETE WITHOUT MY WIFE PLEASE BE CAREFUL HERE I HAVE BEEN SCAM THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IF YOU WANT A TRUE LOVE SPELL THEN CONTACT MAMA ANITA (mamaanita.lovespellsolution@gmail.com) or mama.anitaspellcraft@hotmail.com website http://kelvinlargemyself.wix.com/anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Adams Bella, i live in UK. My life is back!!! After 2 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids, I felt like ending it all.I came across several testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and also spell to get a good paid job so on. He is amazing, i also come across one particular testimony, it was about a woman called Vera, she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped his email.After reading all these, I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 48hours, my husband came back to me. We resolved our issues, and we are even happier than ever.Dr.Trust you are a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man. If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster, Try him anytime, he is the answer to your problems. you can contact him on (Ultimatespellcast@gmail.com or Ultimatespellcast@yahoo.com) or call him +2348156885231. contact him web site http://ultimatespellcast8.wix.com/ultimatespellcast

    ReplyDelete

You can post anonymously if you really want to, but I would appreciate it if you could provide some means of identifying who you are, if only for the purpose of knowing who has written what.